If I were a betting woman, which I’m not, I’m betting that some of you share similar childhood experiences regarding Sunday School and church with me. I went every Sunday because that’s what we did; my mother, bless her heart, insisted that I attend even when I didn’t want to go. But I went; I didn’t have a choice. The Word of God speaks to that in 2 Tim. 3:14-17. I’d like to summarize those verses by giving you six things that happen when you read or listen to God’s Word, even at an early age:
• First of all and most importantly, it gives you the wisdom you need to respond to the gospel and be saved. You begin a new life in Christ, you are reborn in the Spirit, and trust in Jesus to be your Lord.
• Secondly, it says that God’s Word is inspired by Him. Those who wrote it were given His words to pen and that’s why they can speak to each of us individually and personally for our entire life. Every time we open His Word that promise is there for wisdom, rescue, deliverance, healing, and any other help you need.
• Thirdly, the Word of God teaches us what’s true. Sometimes we can believe a lie, about ourselves and about others. Believe it or not, His Word can help you distinguish what’s true. I didn’t make this up and I don’t know how He does it, but He does!
• Fourthly, the scriptures help us to realize what is wrong in our life. I don’t know about you but when things begin to go wrong I wonder why. What am I doing wrong? As I ask that question in my heart and then open the Bible, He is faithful to show me. Now, it’s not always something I’m doing wrong but anything that IS wrong in my life is exposed so I can deal with it.
• Fifthly, it will correct you and teach you how to turn things around and do it right. I said that I ask God, “What am I doing wrong?” I pray that because I often am. As I search the scriptures He will correct me as a good Father corrects his child and show me how to change. Does it hurt? Sometimes, but usually its just my pride.
• Lastly, it prepares and equips you for the good works God has planned for your life. Without His direction you can live aimlessly but with His early preparation He will give you the necessary equipment you need. It may be financial, or emotional, maybe creativity or intelligence, but whatever He gives you use, it to benefit others. God likes that.